Host Family Responsibilities
Our Host Families are the foundation of the RYE program

NOTE:  for District 5190 RYE Forms and Complete Inbound and Outbound Program information, go to:

What is Expected of the Host Family

The main responsibility of the host family is to provide room, board and transportation for the RYE student. The first host family is also responsible for registering and enrolling the student in school with the help of the counselor. As a co-guardian for the student, the host parents will monitor the student’s progress on Infinite Campus, making sure that their grades and their attendance are acceptable and in compliance with WCSD’s requirements.

Since the student receives a monthly stipend, the host family is not expected to pay for the student’s incidental expenses or any other expenses other than room and board. If the family chooses to pay for travel or gifts or other expenses, that is their choice.

Should any problems arise, remember that this student is a part of your family and needs to follow the rules of the family and be welcomed as part of the family. Any problems or difficulties need to be addressed immediately so a small problem doesn’t mushroom into a big problem.

Remember that your counselor is here to help and at your orientation, you were given a roster for the members of the District RYE Committee with all of their contact information. If your counselor is unavailable, contact the TMRYE Committee or the country contact on the District RYE Committee next. We are here to make sure that you have all the support you require as a host family.

School Registration and Enrollment

During the school registration process to facilitate school enrollment, the family may choose to pay for the following reimbursable expenses up to a maximum of $250 in order :

  • School fees
  • Extracurricular activity fees
  • School year book

The student should be encouraged to get involved in extracurricular activities to a reasonable extent. That is, their first couple of months in school may be more difficult due to language differences, but they will want to also be involved in non-classroom activities as well. However, if the student is too ambitious, their schoolwork may suffer and the expense of too many activities will exceed the $250 limit. School fees and the yearbook expense will not exceed the $250 limit, but adding extracurricular activities such as sports, music or other activities will push that limit. If the costs become too high, the student must contact their parents for additional funds to cover these expenses.


If the student arrives without complete immunizations, the parent may be asked to take the student to the Health Department for these immunizations in order for the student to be allowed to attend classes. If the parent pays for these immunizations, they will be fully reimbursed for the charges if the student is taken to the Washoe County Health Department. If the student is taken to the family doctor, the expenses will likely be extremely expensive and will not reimbursed.  Therefore, contact the Washoe County Health Department for these immunizations:

Washoe County Health District Immunization Clinic
1001 East Ninth Street, Building B
Reno, NV  89512

Appointments are required:
Call 775.328.2402, Monday through Friday between 8 am – noon and 1 pm – 4:3p pm to schedule an appointment

Clinic Hours
The Immunization Clinic is open Monday through Friday from 8 am – noon and 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm, excluding holidays

Immunization Fees
The Immunization Fee Schedule outlines the costs for the student. The student is eligible for a slightly reduced fee because their health insurance will not cover immunizations. We make every effort to insure that the student arrives with a complete array of immunizations, however, sometimes this is not the case.

When a host parent pays for any of the above reimbursable expenses, they should contact the TMRYE Committee, present the receipts and they will reimbursed immediately. For information related to any medical issues or concerns, review the Medical Needs page.

Travel Authorization

Travel within the Truckee Meadows and Lake Tahoe areas is considered local travel and does not require special approval.  The students may ride in the car with a host sibling who has a valid driver’s license locally, but not outside of the local area or outside of District 5190.

At no time is a student allowed to operate any vehicle, including a car, a jet ski, a snowmobile or any other motorized vehicle. This could be a violation that would result in severe consequences.

For travel outside of District 5190, please refer to the Travel Authorization instructions. Please allow up to two weeks for the travel authorization process whenever possible to ensure that the authorization is received before the departure date.